Database management system is necessary every where whether it’s a web application or other business purpose software;in ubuntu 10.04 you may like to use MySQL,the fastest database management system for web applications.
MySQL is one of the most widely used database management system and it is light,free and open source so it is also in resonance with ubuntu philosophy.The aim of this post is to help you in installing mysql on your ubuntu 10.04 to help you in getting started with mysql.
Install MySQL on Ubuntu 10.04
1. First,Open SPM(Synaptic Package Manager) from System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager.Enter your password(Ubuntu login account) if it ask else,proceed to next step.
2. Now search for “mysql” by using the Quick Search box(on Top Upper part of the window).
3. Mark the package’s box you want to install e.g my sql client ,server ….
4. Now click on Apply to begin the installation(Followed by downloading process).
5. After few minutes,when the download will complete,installation begins automatically.It will hardly takes couple of minutes.In middle of installation you will have to enter root password for MySQL server.Enter a strong password for that.
6. You have installed MySQL(Client/server) on your Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.
7. That’s All…if you find any problem in installing mysql,let me know through comments.
Using MySQL in Ubuntu 10.04
To access Mysql server you can use following command in the linux terminal.
General format of the command
mysql -u user -h host -p (After hitting enter it will ask for mysql user’s password)
Running as localhost
mysql -u root -h localhost -p (Enter the root password that you entered at the time of installation)
You can also install MySQL query browser(From Ubuntu Software Center) to make this process more simple.