On Ubuntu 10.10(Maverick Meerkat) MySQL(server/client) Database Management System is recommended because it’s free,open source,fast and easy to install.MySQL is one of the most widely used DBMS specifically for web development.PHP+MySQL is a De Facto standard for creating dynamic websites.The most widely preferred cms(Content Management System) i.e wordpress(This blog is also running on wordpress) also uses PHP+MySQL to generate dynamic pages.
Installing MySQL in Ubuntu 10.10
#1. Open Synaptic Package Manager and search for ‘mysql’ or ‘mysql 5’ and select the packages(client and server) you need.
#2. Then click on Apply button to begin the installation procedure.In the middle of the installation you will be prompted for MySQL root password,set strong password for MySQL server.You will need this password for logging to your MySQL server account,with administrative power.
#3. Next installation will complete within a minute.You can start using your server/client now.Open terminal and Type the following command :
mysql -u user -h host –p //Then Enter the User’s Password
In this scenario,the user is ‘root’ and in host use ‘localhost’;so the actual command will be
mysql -u root -h localhost –p
That’s All…I hope,Now you are enjoying MySQL..don’t forget to comment specially in case of any problems related to MySQL and Ubuntu 10.10.
Database management system is necessary every where whether it’s a web application or other business purpose software;in ubuntu 10.04 you may like to use MySQL,the fastest database management system for web applications.
MySQL is one of the most widely used database management system and it is light,free and open source so it is also in resonance with ubuntu philosophy.The aim of this post is to help you in installing mysql on your ubuntu 10.04 to help you in getting started with mysql.
Install MySQL on Ubuntu 10.04
1. First,Open SPM(Synaptic Package Manager) from System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager.Enter your password(Ubuntu login account) if it ask else,proceed to next step.
2. Now search for “mysql” by using the Quick Search box(on Top Upper part of the window).
3. Mark the package’s box you want to install e.g my sql client ,server ….
4. Now click on Apply to begin the installation(Followed by downloading process).
5. After few minutes,when the download will complete,installation begins automatically.It will hardly takes couple of minutes.In middle of installation you will have to enter root password for MySQL server.Enter a strong password for that.
6. You have installed MySQL(Client/server) on your Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.
7. That’s All…if you find any problem in installing mysql,let me know through comments.
Using MySQL in Ubuntu 10.04
To access Mysql server you can use following command in the linux terminal.
General format of the command
mysql -u user -h host -p (After hitting enter it will ask for mysql user’s password)
Running as localhost
mysql -u root -h localhost -p (Enter the root password that you entered at the time of installation)
You can also install MySQL query browser(From Ubuntu Software Center) to make this process more simple.