Fedora 16 (code named as Verne) beta version released! while final version is expected to be released in November 2011. Fedora is one of the most popular Linux based operating system and commonly called as a rock solid distro, with latest cutting edge features that you can expect from a latest Linux distro. Fedora strictly follows open source principles, and uses Gnome as their default desktop.
What’s New in Fedora 16 ?
- GRUB 2 – the next generation boot loader for Linux
- improvements in service management, i.e faster boot times and more powerful management of services
- latest desktops such as KDE 4.7 and Gnome 3.1
- HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer, a depreciated component) has been removed, instead of that Fedora 16 uses udisks, upower and libudev
- New features added to support cloud computing in a variety of ways
- better virtualization support
- a lot of improvements from the developers point of view, such as a new Python plugin for GCC, updated programming environments/API etc
- Improvements in SELinux policies
Download Fedora 16 beta
Get 32 bit or 64 bit Live ISO or Download Fedora 16 beta from the official website.
Ubuntu 11.10 – code named as Oneiric Ocelot, beta vs 1 has released today!, the second beta will be available in the end of sep 2011, while OCT 13 has been set for final/stable release. This version has arrived with a lot of new and exciting features – such as Gnome 3.2 desktop (although you could try to install Gnome 3 on Ubuntu 11.04 but it was not stable/usable), some nice improvements in Unity, GTK3 etc. Due to the improvements in User Interface / ease of use – The Linux distributions are now becoming very popular among common desktop users, and Ubuntu has played an important role in that. Anyway, if you are using Ubuntu on production machines then you are not recommended to try Beta versions (wait until the final version is out!) but experimental users, whose who can’t wait wait to try exciting features – may like to try this beta version (But Remember, always create a backup before such experiments).
Download Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1
New features/Changes in Ubuntu 11.10
With the release of Ubuntu 11.10 beta 1, the new features as well as User Interface development process has been freezed for this release. A lot of bugs has been fixed. Some of the most exciting changes are :
- Gnome 3.2
- GTK 3
- Improvements in Unity
- Kernel 3.0
- Cloud Related Features
- GCC 4.6
- Python 3.2